If you enjoyed our baked ziti recipe, then you’ll love our lasagna. It uses the same ingredients to create another easy, nutritious, and family-friendly comfort meal. Since we’re not fans of ricotta, a simple white sauce enhances the flavor of the dish without making it too creamy.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Lightly spray an 11×7-inch rectangular baking dish with canola spray.
- Get out a large pot, a medium pot, a small pot, a glass measuring cup, and a medium saucepan.
- Put a large colander in the sink.
STEP TWO – Cook the Pasta
- Fill the large pot ¾ full of water, add a few shakes of salt, and bring to a boil. Add a full box (12-16 ounces) of lasagna and cook one less minute than directed.
- Drain, rinse briefly under cold water, and leave the lasagna noodles to cool in the sink.
STEP THREE – Make the Marinara Sauce
1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil
¼ cup of minced onion
2 crushed garlic cloves
1 28-ounce can of tomatoes or 8-10 fresh tomatoes cut in very small pieces with the seeds removed
Salt and pepper
Red pepper flakes
2-3 leaves of fresh basil
- Heat the oil in the medium pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and spices and cook for 20 minutes until they’ve reduced to a nice and hearty sauce.
- Allow the sauce to cool for a bit and then puree it in a blender or a food processor (or leave it chunky if that’s your preference).
STEP FOUR – Make the White Sauce
2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour
1 cup of milk
- Warm up the milk in a glass container in the microwave for 60 seconds and set aside.
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat and melt the butter.
- When the butter is bubbling, whisk in the flour until it’s well incorporated.
- Slowly whisk in the warm milk, stirring continually until it becomes a smooth and thickened sauce.
- Sprinkle in a little nutmeg and salt.
STEP FIVE – Assemble and Bake
1 cup of shredded parmesan cheese
1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and move an oven rack to the center.
- Spread ½ a cup of the marinara sauce on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Layer half of the lasagna noodles on top in an overlapping pattern.
- Spread half of the white sauce on top of the noodles.
- Spread some more of the marinara sauce on top.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup of parmesan cheese.
- Layer the other half of the lasagna noodles.
- Spread the other half of the white sauce.
- Spread the rest of the marinara sauce.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes or so until the lasagna is lightly browned.
- Serve and enjoy!
Recommended serving size: 1 piece (⅙ of recipe)
Exchanges: 2 starches, 2 fat, 2 protein