The quintessential cranberry-orange flavor combination pairs perfectly in this homemade sweet bread. While cranberries are our preference, the versatile batter works for whatever berries you desire or have available. For extra nutrition and variety, add shredded coconut or ground nuts.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lightly spray a 9×5-inch metal bread pan with canola spray.
- Get out a large mixing bowl and a medium mixing bowl.
- Set up a cooling rack.
STEP TWO – Make the Batter
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons fresh orange zest
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- In the large mixing bowl, microwave the butter for 45 seconds.
- Whisk in the milk and sour cream, then the eggs, and finally the orange juice and zest.
- In the medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients and cranberries to the wet ingredients and incorporate without overmixing.
STEP FOUR – Bake the Bread
- Spoon the batter into the bread pan and top with a sprinkle of raw sugar.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool the bread on the cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove the bread from the pan and cool for another 5-10 minutes.
- Cut the bread into 1-inch-thick slices and enjoy warm or at room temperature.
Recommended Serving Size: 1 slice
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat