The batter for this bread recipe is versatile and can be used for whatever berries you like or have handy, although our favorites are cranberries and blueberries. For extra nutrition and variety, add in shredded coconut or ground nuts.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Set the oven to 350°F with an oven rack in the middle.
- Lightly spray a metal 9×5-inch bread pan.
- Get out a medium bowl and a large bowl.
- Set up a cooling rack.
STEP TWO – Combine the Dry Ingredients
3 cups of all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of white sugar
- In the medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients until they’re well incorporated.
- Set aside.
STEP THREE – Combine the Wet Ingredients
½ stick of unsalted butter
1 cup of milk
2 tablespoons of sour cream
Zest of one orange
1 tablespoon of orange juice
- Melt the butter in the microwave for 30-40 seconds.
- Whisk in the milk and sour cream, then the eggs.
- Add in the orange juice and zest.
STEP FOUR – Assemble and Bake
1 cup of cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- Add the dry ingredients and the cranberries into the wet ingredients. Combine without over-mixing.
- Spoon the batter into the bread pan.
- Top with a generous sprinkling of raw sugar.
- Bake for 55 minutes. Check for doneness by sticking a knife through the center. If it comes out clean, the bread is done. If not, put it back in the oven for 10 minutes at a time.
- Cool on the rack for 10 minutes. Then remove the bread from the pan and let it finish cooling.
Recommended serving size: 1 slice (approximately 1-inch)
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat