The quintessential cranberry-orange flavor combination pairs perfectly in this homemade sweet bread. While cranberries are our preference, the versatile batter works for whatever berries you desire or have available. For extra nutrition and variety, add shredded coconut or ground nuts.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lightly spray a 9×5-inch metal bread pan with canola spray.
- Get out a large bowl and a medium bowl.
- Set up a cooling rack.
STEP TWO – Make the Batter
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons fresh orange zest
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 cup cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- In the large bowl, microwave the butter for 45 seconds.
- Whisk in the milk and sour cream, then the eggs, and finally the orange juice and zest.
- In the medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry to the wet ingredients with the cranberries and stir to incorporate without overmixing.
STEP THREE – Bake the Bread
- Spoon the batter into the bread pan and sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool the bread on the cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and cool for another 5-10 minutes.
- Cut into 1-inch-thick slices and enjoy warm.
Recommended Serving Size: 1 slice
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat