Inspired by The Greens Restaurant, an iconic vegetarian farm-to-table restaurant in San Francisco, these potato pancakes, also known as latkes, are the perfect dish for Hanukkah. Homemade applesauce for dipping is a must.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Get out a large pot, a large pan, a large bowl, a large glass measuring cup, a cheese grater, and a colander.
- Get out a blender or food processor.
- Get out a serving platter and paper towels.
STEP TWO – Cook the Potatoes
8 medium-size potatoes (any kind will do)
- Peel the potatoes and place them in the large pot.
- Cover with water, add a little salt, and bring to a boil.
- Cook the potatoes for 10 minutes so they are still firm.
- Drain the potatoes in the colander and set aside to cool.
STEP THREE – Make the Binder
3-4 scallions or ½ of an onion
2 tablespoons of sour cream
¼ cup of shredded cheese (mozzarella, parmesan, etc.)
Salt and pepper
- Mince the scallions or onions.
- Add the onions to the large bowl with the egg, sour cream, and cheese.
- Grate the potatoes and add them to the binder.
- Add salt and pepper and mix with your hands.
STEP FOUR – Cook the Pancakes
- Heat the pan on medium-high heat and add a generous amount of canola oil.
- Shape the batter into large pancakes and place them on the hot pan 4 or 5 at a time.
- Allow the pancakes to cook on both sides until they’re golden brown, 10-15 minutes a side.
- Remove the pancakes from the pan and place them on the serving platter layered with paper towels.
- When all the pancakes are cooked, blot them with paper towels.
STEP FIVE – Make the Applesauce
4-6 apples (any kind will do)
- Peel and cut the apples into quarters.
- Place the apples in the large glass measuring cup, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave for 4 minutes.
- Drain some of the liquid and save it in case you need to thin the applesauce.
- Add the apples and a tablespoon of brown sugar to the blender.
- Blend until the sauce is the consistency you like, adding more liquid as needed.
- Serve warm with the potato pancakes.
Recommended serving size: 3 pancakes and ½ a cup of applesauce
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat