We enjoy this hearty and versatile stew on its own, over pasta, or served alongside cornbread or another bready starch. The fillings of lentils, beans, and basic vegetables are loaded with protein and nutrients, while the plethora of spices makes for a flavorful, well-seasoned dish.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Get out a large stockpot.
STEP TWO – Make the Chili
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 small minced onion
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
½ teaspoon ground pepper
3 minced garlic cloves
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 15-ounce can drained and rinsed black beans
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 cup vegetable broth
½ cup lentils
½ teaspoon hot sauce
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Shredded cheddar cheese
Chopped green onions
- In the large stockpot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions, salt, and pepper and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, and cilantro and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the beans, tomato sauce, tomatoes, broth, lentils, hot sauce, and lime juice.
- Simmer the chili with the lid on for 30 minutes until the lentils are cooked through.
- Ladle the chili into bowls and top with the cheddar cheese, onions, and a dollop of sour cream for extra creaminess.
Recommended Serving Size: 2 cups
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 protein, 1 veg