We enjoy this hearty and versatile stew on its own, over pasta, or alongside cornbread or another bready starch. The fillings of lentils, beans, and basic vegetables are loaded with protein and nutrients, while the plethora of spices makes for a flavorful, well-seasoned dish.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Get out a large stockpot.
STEP TWO – Make the Chili
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 small peeled and minced onion
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
½ teaspoon ground pepper
3 peeled and minced garlic cloves
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 15-ounce can drained and rinsed black beans
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
1 cup vegetable broth
½ cup lentils
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
½ teaspoon hot sauce
4 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- In the large stockpot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions, salt, and pepper and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chili powder, paprika, cumin, and cilantro and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, lentils, lime juice, and hot sauce and stir to incorporate.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook covered for 45 minutes until the lentils are cooked through.
- Ladle the chili into bowls and top with the cheese and onions.
Recommended Serving Size: 2 cups chili
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 protein, 1 veg