STEP ONE – Preparations
- Set the oven to 400°F with an oven rack in the middle.
- Spray an 8-inch square metal pan with canola spray.
- Get out a medium and a large glass mixing bowl.
- Set up a cooling rack.
STEP TWO – Prepare the Dry Ingredients
1 ¼ cups of all-purpose flour
¾ cup of cornmeal
¼ cup of sugar
1 tablespoon of baking powder
½ teaspoon of fine sea salt
- In the large bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients.
- Set aside.
STEP THREE – Prepare the Wet Ingredients
1 cup of milk
¼ cup of canola oil
2 egg whites
- In the medium bowl, whisk the egg whites until they’re frothy.
- Add in the milk and oil and whisk until they’re well incorporated.
STEP FOUR – Assemble and Bake
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir to just combine.
- Pour the dough into the prepared baking pan and put it in the oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes and check for doneness by sticking a toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean, the bread is done. If not, add it back to the oven for 5 minutes at a time.
- Place the bread on the rack and let it cool briefly. After a few minutes, take it out of the pan so it can finish cooling.
- Cut the bread into nine pieces, add your favorite spread, and enjoy!
Recommended serving size: 1 piece
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat