STEP ONE – Preparations
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Lightly spray an 8×8-inch metal pan with canola spray.
- Get out a large bowl and a medium bowl.
- Set up a cooling rack.
STEP TWO – Make the Batter
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup cornmeal
¼ cup white sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
1 large egg plus 1 egg white
1 cup milk
¼ cup canola oil
- In the large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In the medium bowl, whisk the egg whites until frothy.
- Add the egg yolk, milk, and oil and whisk well.
- Add the wet to the dry ingredients and stir to incorporate without overmixing.
STEP THREE – Bake the Bread
- Pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cornbread on the cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and cool for another 10 minutes.
- Cut into 9 pieces, add your favorite spread, and enjoy!
Recommended Serving Size: 1 piece
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat