While we make this gingerbread year round, the combination of spices is best enjoyed around the winter holidays. For extra spice and intensity, add ground black pepper or fresh grated ginger to the recipe.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Preheat the oven to 350°F with an oven rack in the middle.
- Lightly spray a 9×5 inch metal bread pan with canola spray.
- Get out a small and a large glass measuring cup.
- Get out a large mixing bowl.
- Set up a cooling rack.
STEP TWO – Prepare the Dry Ingredients
2 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
½ cup of white sugar
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of baking powder
½ teaspoon of fine sea salt
2 teaspoons of ground ginger
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon of ground cloves
½ teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- In the large mixing bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- Set aside.
STEP THREE – Prepare the Wet Ingredients
1 stick of unsalted butter
½ cup of molasses
1 egg plus 1 egg white
1 cup of milk
2 tablespoons of white vinegar
- In the small glass cup, add the vinegar and milk and let it “sour” for 5 minutes to become buttermilk.
- In the large glass cup, melt the butter in the microwave for 45 seconds.
- Add the molasses to the butter and stir to combine.
- Add in the eggs and buttermilk and whisk well.
STEP FOUR – Assemble and Bake
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix to just combine.
- Pour the batter into the bread pan.
- Sprinkle the top with raw sugar.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Check for doneness by inserting a knife into the center of the bread. If the blade comes out clean, the bread is done. If not, put it back in the oven for 10 minutes and check again.
- Cool the bread for 15 minutes on the rack and enjoy!
Recommended serving size: 1 slice (approximately 1-inch)
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat