As you might have noticed from our last recipe, we love ginger almost as much as we love pumpkin spice. This bread, in particular, has become a festive favorite of ours—both during the holidays and throughout the rest of the year.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lightly spray a 9×5 inch metal bread pan with canola spray.
- Get out a small glass measuring cup, a large glass measuring cup, and a large bowl.
- Set up a cooling rack.
STEP TWO – Make the Batter
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons white vinegar
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
½ cup molasses
1 egg plus 1 egg white
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground cloves
- In the small glass measuring cup, combine the milk and vinegar and let sour for 5 minutes.
- In the large glass measuring cup, microwave the butter for 45 seconds.
- Add the molasses to the melted butter and stir to combine.
- Add the soured milk and eggs and whisk until smooth.
- In the large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
- Add the wet to the dry ingredients and stir to incorporate without overmixing.
STEP THREE – Bake the Bread
- Spoon the batter into the bread pan and sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool the bread on the cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and cool for another 5-10 minutes
- Cut into 1-inch-thick slices and enjoy warm.
Recommended Serving Size: 1 slice
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat