While we bake these tasty cookies year-round, they’re best enjoyed during the winter holidays. The delightful combination of spices truly brings out the festive spirit and fills our home with a pleasant gingery aroma.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Take out a stick of unsalted butter to soften.
- Get out a stand mixer and a medium bowl.
- Set up 2 cooling racks.
STEP TWO – Make the Batter
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
⅔ cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons molasses
1 large egg
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cloves
- In the stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Add the molasses and egg and mix until smooth.
- In the medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and salt.
- Add the dry to the wet ingredients and stir to incorporate without overmixing.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Towards the end of the hour, preheat the oven to 350°F with 2 oven racks in the middle.
STEP THREE – Bake the Cookies
- Lightly spray 2 large baking sheets with canola spray.
- Drop 18 tablespoons of dough onto the baking sheets and press down with the back of a fork in a crisscross pattern.
- Sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Bake for 5 minutes.
- Switch the sheets and bake for another 5 minutes until lightly browned around the edges.
- Transfer the cookies to the cooling racks and cool for 5-10 minutes.
Recommended Serving Size: 3 cookies
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat