Our meatless version of the classic chicken pot pie is flavorful and loaded with delicious and wholesome ingredients. You can make it your own by adding meat or tofu, more vegetables, richer dairy, and an assortment of spices.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Preheat the oven to 400°F with an oven rack in the middle.
- Get out a medium pot, a glass measuring cup, a whisk, and an 8-inch glass pie pan.
- Get out the food processor and a rolling pin.
STEP TWO – Make the Crust
⅓ cup of cold unsalted butter
1 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon of fine sea salt
3-4 tablespoons of cold water
- Add the flour and salt to the food processor.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and add them to the food processor.
- Start the food processor and mix the ingredients until they resemble coarse crumbs.
- Add 1 tablespoon of cold water at a time until the ingredients come together in a ball.
- Remove the dough from the food processor and place it on a lightly floured countertop.
- Lightly flour a rolling pin and roll out the dough so it’s much larger than the diameter of the 8-inch pan.
- Press the dough into the pan and leave the overhang untouched.
- Set aside.
STEP THREE – Make the Filling
2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
1 cup of frozen green peas
1 cup of milk
1 cup of vegetable broth
3 tablespoons of flour
Salt and pepper
- Heat the butter in the medium pot over medium heat.
- Heat the milk and broth in the glass measuring cup in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Dice the carrots and add them, along with the peas and garlic to the pot and cook for 5 minutes until they’re lightly browned.
- Add the flour and mix to combine.
- Slowly add in the warmed milk and broth and whisk together. Allow the sauce to cook until it’s a thick consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper.
STEP FOUR – Assemble and Bake
- Pour the filling into the pie crust.
- Fold the overhanging pie crust on top of the pie.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until the edges are lightly brown.
- Let the pot pie rest for at least 15 minutes before cutting into it.
Recommended serving size: ⅕ of the pie
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 veg, 1 fat