Our meatless version of the classic chicken pot pie is flavorful and packed with delicious and wholesome ingredients. You can make it your own by adding meat or tofu, more vegetables, richer dairy, and an assortment of spices.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Get out a food processor and an 8-inch glass pie pan.
- Get out a medium saucepan and a glass measuring cup.
STEP TWO – Make the Crust
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
3-4 tablespoons cold water
- Cut the butter into small pieces and pulse in the food processor with the flour and salt until the texture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add 1 tablespoon of water at a time until the ingredients form a ball of dough.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and use a floured rolling pan to roll to a diameter of 10 inches.
- Press the dough into the pie pan and crimp the overhang around the edges.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Set aside.
STEP THREE – Make the Filling
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup milk
1 cup vegetable broth
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 cup frozen green peas
1 tablespoon minced garlic
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon ground pepper
- In the medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- In the glass measuring cup, microwave the milk and broth for 2 minutes.
- Add the carrots, peas, and garlic to the pan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour.
- Slowly add the milk and broth and whisk until incorporated.
- Cook the sauce for the 10 minutes until thick.
- Season with the salt and pepper.
STEP FOUR – Assemble and Bake
- Pour the filling into the crust and fold the overhang on top.
- Bake for 40 minutes until lightly browned around the edges.
- Cool the pot pie for 15 minutes before serving.
Recommended Serving Size: ⅙ of recipe
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 protein, 1 veg, 3 fat