Our meatless version of the classic chicken pot pie is packed with delicious and wholesome ingredients. Feel free to augment our basic recipe with tofu for protein, more vegetables for nutrition and variety, and an assortment of seasonings for flavor.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Get out a food processor and an 8-inch glass pie pan.
- Get out a medium saucepan and a large glass measuring cup.
STEP TWO – Make the Crust
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
3-4 tablespoons cold water
- Cut the butter into small pieces and blend in the food processor with the flour and salt until incorporated.
- Add 1 tablespoon of water at a time until the ingredients form a ball of dough.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and use a floured rolling pan to roll to a diameter of 10 inches.
- Press into the pie pan and leave the overhang untouched.
- Set aside.
STEP THREE – Make the Filling
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup milk
1 cup vegetable broth
3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
1 cup green peas (fresh or frozen)
1 tablespoon minced garlic
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon ground pepper
- In the medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- In the large glass measuring cup, microwave the milk and broth for 2 minutes.
- Add the carrots, peas, and garlic to the pan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour.
- Slowly add the heated milk and broth and whisk until incorporated.
- Cook the sauce for the 10 minutes until thick.
- Season with the salt and pepper.
STEP FOUR – Assemble and Bake
- Pour the filling into the crust and fold the overhang on top.
- Bake for 40 minutes until lightly browned around the edges.
- Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Recommended Serving Size: 1 slice (⅙ of pie)
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 protein, 1 veg, 3 fat