Like our cranberry bread recipe, this basic sweet bread works well with most berries, fresh or frozen. A hint of citrus nicely compliments your berry of choice in this family favorite snack.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lightly spray a 9×5-inch metal bread pan with canola spray.
- Get out a glass measuring cup, a large mixing bowl, and a medium mixing bowl.
- Set up a cooling rack.
STEP TWO – Combine the Dry Ingredients
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons white vinegar
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons fresh lemon zest
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- In the glass measuring cup, combine the milk and add the vinegar and leave for 5 minutes to sour.
- In the large mixing bowl, microwave the butter for 45 seconds.
- Whisk in the soured milk, then the eggs, and finally the lemon juice and zest.
- In the medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients and blueberries to the wet ingredients and incorporate without overmixing.
STEP THREE – Bake the Bread
- Spoon the batter into the bread pan and top with a sprinkle of raw sugar.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool the bread on the cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove the bread from the pan and cool for another 5-10 minutes.
- Cut the bread into 1-inch-thick slices and enjoy warm or at room temperature.
Recommended Serving Size: 1 slice
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat