Our lighter and fluffier version of classic cake brownies still has all the chocolatey goodness of the original. Served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream is our favorite way to enjoy them!
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line an 8×8-inch metal pan with 2 pieces of aluminum foil and lightly spray with canola spray.
- Get out a large bowl and a medium bowl.
- Set up a cooling rack.
STEP TWO – Make the Batter
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
¼ cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg plus 1 egg white
¾ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- In the large bowl, microwave the butter and chocolate chips for 45 seconds and whisk until melted.
- Add the oil, water, sour cream, syrup, and vanilla, followed by the eggs and egg white, and whisk until incorporated.
- In the medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the dry to the wet ingredients and stir to incorporate without overmixing.
STEP THREE – Bake the Brownies
- Spoon the batter into the pan and evenly distribute with a spatula.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the brownies from the pan by the foil and cool on the cooling rack for 30 minutes.
- Cut into 9 squares and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Recommended Serving Size: 1 brownie
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat*
* ½ a cup of vanilla ice cream adds 1 starch and 1 fat