This tasty recipe is a lighter version of classic fudge brownies. Served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream is our favorite way to enjoy them!
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Set the oven to 350°F with an oven rack in the middle.
- Get out an 8” square metal pan. Place two pieces of foil inside the pan so they overlap the edge a bit and spray with canola spray. This will make it easier to get the cooked brownies out of the pan.
- Get out 1 medium bowl and 1 large bowl.
- Set up a cooling rack.
STEP TWO – Prepare the Hot Mixture
2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
¼ cup of bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips
- In the large bowl, melt the butter and chocolate for 45-60 seconds in the microwave.
- Whisk until it has completely melted.
- Set aside to cool.
STEP THREE – Prepare the Dry Ingredients
¾ cup of all-purpose flour
⅓ cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup of white sugar
1 teaspoon of baking powder
½ teaspoon of fine sea salt
- In the medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- Set aside.
STEP FOUR – Prepare the Wet Ingredients
2 tablespoons of sour cream
1 tablespoon of chocolate syrup
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 egg plus 1 egg white
- Whisk the melted and cooled butter mixture into the sour cream, syrup, vanilla, and eggs until they’re well incorporated.
- Add in the dry ingredients and combine well without over-mixing.
STEP FIVE – Assemble and Bake
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly to all four corners.
- Bake for 20 minutes and check for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center. If the toothpick comes out clean, the brownies are done. If not, add another 5 minutes at a time.
- Cool the pan of brownies on the rack for 30-60 minutes.
- Lift the brownies out of the pan and cut into 2” squares.
Makes 9 brownies
Recommended serving size: 1 brownie
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat*
* ½ cup of vanilla ice cream adds 1 starch and 1 fat