While this Italian rice dish takes time to become creamy and velvety, it’s easy to make and very versatile. Add tofu or shrimp for protein, different vegetables and seasoning for variety, or keep it plain and simple with parmesan cheese like we do. And no, you can’t pull it off in 30 minutes on Chopped!
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Get out a large glass measuring cup and a large frying pan.
STEP TWO – Assemble the Ingredients
1 32-ounce container vegetable stock
1 cup chopped vegetables (onions, mushrooms, zucchini, peppers, or asparagus)
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon minced garlic
¼ cup white wine
12-ounces rice (medium grain or Arborio)
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
½ teaspoon ground pepper
STEP THREE – Prepare and Cook the Risotto
- In the large glass measuring cup, microwave the vegetable stock for 3 minutes and set aside.
- In the large frying pan, heat the oil and butter over medium-high heat and stir to distribute.
- Add the vegetables and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the rice, spread to distribute, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the white wine and mix until absorbed.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Add the stock to the pan 1 cup at a time and mix to absorb.
- Repeat this process until all the stock is used up and the risotto is fluffy and creamy.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper until incorporated.
- Serve hot in bowls and top with fresh parsley.
Recommended Serving Size: ¼ of recipe
Exchanges: 2 starches, 2 fat