While this Italian rice dish needs cooking time to become creamy and velvety, it’s easy to make and pretty versatile. Add tofu or shrimp to it, different vegetables and spices, or keep it plain and simple with parmesan cheese like we do. And no, you can’t pull it off in 30 minutes on Chopped!
STEP ONE – Assemble the Ingredients
1 32-ounce container of vegetable stock or broth
1 cup of vegetables, chopped (onions, mushrooms, zucchini, peppers, or asparagus all work well)
1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
1 tablespoon of minced garlic
¼ cup of white wine (or broth with a couple of drops of lemon or lime juice)
12-ounces of medium grain or Arborio rice
½ cup of parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper
STEP TWO – Prepare and Cook the Dish
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Pour the vegetable stock into a large glass measuring cup and heat in the microwave for 3 minutes. Then set aside.
- Add the oil and butter to the heated pan and stir to evenly distribute.
- Add in the vegetables you’d like and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add in the rice and evenly distribute it so it can toast for a few minutes.
- Add in the white wine (or substituted broth) and mix until it has completely absorbed.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low.
- Add one cup of warm stock to the pan, mix, and allow it to absorb before adding another cup. Continue to do this until all the stock is used up. At this point, the risotto will be cooked through and appear fluffy and creamy.
- Add in salt and pepper and any other spices you’d like.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese until it’s well incorporated.
- Top the finished dish with fresh parsley and serve in bowls.
Recommended serving size: 1 cup
Exchanges: 2 starches, 2 fat
For protein, add tofu, shrimp, or a meat of your choice.