Our family appreciates the versatility, nutrition, and superb taste of eggs and incorporates them into our diet regularly. Once a week, we prepare egg salad and enjoy it on homemade sandwich bread for lunch. This wholesome meal is great to pack in lunchboxes and take to work or school as well.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Lightly spray a 9×5-inch metal bread pan with canola spray.
- Get out a stand mixer and a small glass measuring cup.
- Get out a medium pot.
- Set up a cooling rack.
STEP TWO – Make the Yeast Mixture
1 packet active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1 tablespoon honey
- Remove the bowl from the stand mixer and add the water and honey.
- Sprinkle in the yeast and gently stir to incorporate.
- Let proof for 5 minutes.
STEP THREE – Make the Dough
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 cups all-purpose flour
⅓ cup warm water
2 tablespoons honey
½ tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon sea salt
- In the small glass measuring cup, microwave the butter for 40 seconds and let cool briefly.
- Add the flour, water, honey, vinegar, salt, and melted butter to the proofed yeast mixture.
- Use a spatula to form the ingredients into a rough dough.
STEP FOUR – Make the Bread
- Attach the bowl to the stand mixer and add the dough hook.
- Mix the dough on low speed for 2 minutes.
- Raise the speed to medium-low and mix for 5 minutes until smooth. If the dough is too dry, add a little warm water. If it’s too wet, add a little flour.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 5 minutes until smooth.
- Lightly spray the mixer bowl with canola spray and return the dough to the bowl.
- Place in a warm spot, cover with a kitchen towel, and let the dough rise for 1 hour until doubled. You can make the egg salad in the meantime.
STEP FIVE – Make the Egg Salad
5 large eggs
1 ½ tablespoons mayonnaise
1 ½ tablespoons sour cream
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Place the eggs in the medium pot, cover with cold water, and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, remove the pot from heat and let rest covered for 18 minutes.
- Place the pot in the sink, run cold water over the eggs, and let cool briefly.
- Gently tap the eggs along the inside of the kitchen sink.
- With cold water running, slowly peel off the shells.
- Cut the cleaned eggs into small and uniform pieces. We use only the white of the 5th egg for extra protein.
- Add the mayonnaise, sour cream, and salt and mash with a fork.
- Chill in the refrigerator while you finish making the bread.
STEP SIX – Assemble and Bake
- Place the risen dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Use your fingers to press into a thick rectangle about 8-inches in width.
- Starting from the short end, tightly roll the dough into a log.
- Pinch to seal the ends and place seam side down in the bread pan.
- Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm spot for 1 hour. Towards the end of the rise, preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Once risen, bake for 20 minutes.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for another 10 minutes until golden brown. Tap the top, and if the bread sounds hollow inside, it’s done.
- Cool the bread on the cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- Cut into ½-inch-thick slices, add a scoop of egg salad, and serve fresh.
Recommended Serving Size: 1 sandwich (2 bread slices with ¼ of egg salad)
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 protein, 1 fat