Our family appreciates the versatility, nutrition, and delicious taste of eggs and incorporate them into our diet regularly. Once a week, we prepare egg salad and enjoy it on homemade sandwich bread. This wholesome meal is great to pack in lunchboxes and take to work or school as well.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Lightly spray a 9×5-inch metal bread pan with canola spray.
- Get out a stand mixer and a small glass measuring cup.
- Get out a medium pot.
- Set up a cooling rack.
STEP TWO – Make the Yeast Mixture
1 packet active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1 tablespoon sweetener (maple syrup, honey, or brown sugar)
- Remove the bowl from the stand mixer.
- Add the warm water and sweetener.
- Sprinkle in the yeast and gently stir to incorporate.
- Let the yeast mixture proof for 10 minutes.
STEP THREE – Make the Flour Mixture
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 cups all-purpose flour
⅓ cup warm water
2 tablespoons sweetener (maple syrup, honey, or brown sugar)
½ tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon sea salt
- In the glass measuring cup, microwave the butter for 30-45 seconds and let cool briefly.
- Add the flour, water, sweetener, vinegar, salt, and melted butter to the proofed yeast mixture.
- Use a spatula to form the ingredients into a rough dough.
STEP FOUR – Make the Bread
- Attach the bowl to the stand mixer and add the dough hook.
- Knead the dough on low speed for 3 minutes.
- Raise the speed and knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. If the dough is too dry, add a little warm water. If it’s too wet, add a little flour.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and use your hands to fold over the dough a few times.
- Lift the dough, spray the bottom of the bowl with canola spray, and return the dough to the bowl.
- Place the bowl in a warm spot, cover with a kitchen towel, and let the dough rise for 1 hour until doubled. You can make the egg salad in the meantime.
STEP FIVE – Make the Egg Salad
5 large eggs
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 tablespoon sour cream
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- In the medium pot, cover 5 eggs with cold water and set to high heat.
- Once the water is boiling, remove the pot from heat and cover for 18 minutes.
- Remove the lid, place the pot in the sink, and run cold water over the eggs.
- Let the eggs cool for a few minutes.
- Gently tap the eggs along the inside of the kitchen sink.
- With cold water running, slowly peel off the shells.
- Cut the cleaned eggs into small and uniform pieces. We use only the white of the 5th egg to add extra protein without the additional fat.
- Add the mayonnaise, sour cream, and salt.
- Chill the egg salad in the refrigerator while you finish making the bread.
STEP SIX – Assemble and Bake
- Place the risen dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Use your fingers to press into a thick rectangle with the shorter sides about 8-inches wide.
- Starting from the short end, roll the dough into a log.
- Pinch to seal the ends and seam and place the dough seam side down in the bread pan.
- Cover the pan with a kitchen towel and let the dough rise in a warm spot for 1 hour. Towards the end of the rise, preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes until golden brown. Tap the top, and if the bread sounds hollow inside, it’s done.
- Cool the bread on the cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- Cut the bread into ½-inch-thick slices, add a scoop of egg salad, and serve fresh.
Recommended Serving Size: 2 slices of bread and ¼ of the egg salad
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 protein, 1 fat