Pesto is a wonderful Italian sauce traditionally consisting of basil, garlic, olive oil, pine nuts, salt, and hard cheese all blended together. Prepared with garden-fresh basil and tossed with angel hair pasta is our favorite way to enjoy it.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Get out a large pot, a colander, and a serving dish.
- Get out a food processor or blender.
STEP TWO – Cook the Pasta
¾ pound angel hair pasta
- Fill the large pot with water, add a shake of salt, and bring to a boil.
- Add the pasta and cook for as long as directed.
- Drain in the colander and spoon into the serving dish.
STEP THREE – Make the Pesto
2 cups stemmed fresh basil leaves
1 medium chopped tomato
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
¼ cup pine nuts
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
½ teaspoon ground pepper
- In the food processor or blender, blend the basil, tomato, lemon juice, cheese, nuts, oil, garlic, salt, and pepper until smooth.
- Toss the pasta with the pesto.
- Serve warm or cold.
Recommended Serving Size: ¼ of recipe
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 fat