Cinnamon rolls, synonymous with cinnamon buns, are a classic American pastry that are fun to make and delicious to eat. A drizzle of homemade vanilla icing adds a touch of sweetness to the fluffy dough.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Lightly spray a 9-inch glass pie pan with canola spray.
- Get out a large bowl and a large glass measuring cup.
- Get out a small glass measuring cup and a small bowl.
- Set up a cooling rack.
STEP TWO – Make the Dough
2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup white sugar
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
1 packet rapid rise yeast
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
½ cup milk
¼ cup water
1 large egg
- In the large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, and yeast.
- In the large glass measuring cup, microwave the butter, milk, and water for 30 seconds and whisk until warm and melted.
- Add to the dry ingredients with the egg and mix until a soft dough forms.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 5 minutes until smooth.
- Lightly spray the large bowl with canola spray and return the dough to the bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 10 minutes.
STEP THREE – Make the Filling
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons white sugar
- In the small glass measuring cup, microwave the butter for 10 seconds.
- In the small bowl, combine the cinnamon and sugar.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll into a 14-by-8-inch rectangle.
- Spread the softened butter over the entire surface.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar mixture over the butter.
- Starting from the long end, tightly roll up the dough.
- Cut into 12 buns and place in the pie pan.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm spot for 1 hour.
- Towards the end of the hour, preheat the oven to 375°F.
STEP FOUR – Bake and Ice the Buns
½ cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges.
- Cool the buns on the cooling rack for 5-10 minutes while you make the icing.
- In the small bowl, whisk to combine the sugar, milk, and vanilla until smooth.
- Drizzle the icing over the buns and serve warm.
Recommended Serving Size: 1 bun
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat