There are so many great varieties of this classic oven-baked meal. Our very basic recipe can be enhanced by adding in your choice of protein, vegetables, and cheese.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Get out a large pot, a large pan, a glass measuring cup, and a colander.
- Spray an 11×7-inch baking dish or a casserole dish with canola spray.
STEP TWO – Cook the Pasta
¾ of a 1-pound bag of egg noodles
- Fill the large pot ¾ full of water, add salt, and bring to a boil.
- Add the egg noodles and cook for one less minute than directed.
- Drain the noodles, rinse briefly under cold water, and spoon them into the baking dish.
STEP THREE – Cook the Vegetables
1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
¼ cup of minced onion
2 crushed garlic cloves
½ cup of frozen peas
1 diced carrot
½ cup of fresh or frozen corn
- Heat the pan over medium heat. When it’s hot, add 1 tablespoon of butter.
- When the butter has melted, add in the onions, carrots, and peas (and any other vegetables you like) and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove the vegetables from the heat and add them to the pasta in the baking dish.
STEP FOUR – Make the Sauce
2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
¾ cup of milk
1 ½ cups of vegetable broth
Salt and pepper
Squeeze of lemon juice
½ cup of parmesan cheese
- In the glass measuring cup, heat the milk and broth in the microwave for 1 minute.
- Melt the butter in the pan.
- Add the flour and whisk around until they’re combined.
- Slowly add in the warm milk and broth, whisking well so the mixture becomes smooth and thick. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and add in the salt, pepper, Worchester sauce, and lemon juice.
- Add in the parmesan cheese and let it melt for a couple of minutes.
STEP FIVE – Assemble and Bake
- Add the sauce to the pasta and vegetables in the baking pan and mix to combine.
- At this point, you can add in protein such as cooked tofu, tuna fish, or meat.
- Sprinkle a little more parmesan and some panko breadcrumbs on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Recommended serving size: ⅙ of the recipe
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 veg, 1 fat (½ cup of tofu adds 1 protein)