Pudding is a simple, satisfying, and surprisingly nutritious snack that Julia relied on when she was refeeding. There are many great-tasting flavors, however we’ve always preferred classic vanilla topped with homemade whipped cream and shaved chocolate.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Get out a medium pot and a small bowl.
STEP TWO – Make the Pudding
2 cups milk
½ cup white sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In the medium pot, heat the milk over medium heat.
- In the small bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
- Once the milk is hot and bubbling around the edges, add the dry ingredients and whisk continually for 8-10 minutes until thick.
- Remove the pot from the heat, add the butter and vanilla, and stir until completely combined.
- Spoon the pudding into 4 small bowls.
- Cool at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
STEP THREE – Make the Whipped Cream
1 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- In the stand mixer, whip the cream on high speed for 1 minute until stiff peaks form.
- Add the powdered sugar and whip until combined.
- Top the pudding with a dollop of whipped cream and shaved chocolate.
Recommended Serving Size: 1 pudding with 2 tablespoons whipped cream
Exchanges: 1 starch, ½ dairy, 1 fat