Pudding is a simple, tasty, and surprisingly nutritious dessert. We enjoy ours topped with homemade whipped cream and shaved chocolate or shredded coconut.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Get out a medium-size pot and a medium-size bowl.
- Get out a whisk and a stirring spoon.
STEP TWO – Start the Milk
2 cups of milk
- Place the pot on the stove on medium heat.
- In our house, we have 1% milk and half-and-half, so I used 1 ¾ cup of milk and ¼ cup of half-and-half. Really any combination will do.
- Add the milk to the pot to warm up. It will take 10-15 minutes to heat completely.
- Move on to STEP THREE while the milk is warming up.
STEP THREE – Prepare the Dry Ingredients
⅓ to ½ cup of white sugar
3 tablespoons of cornstarch
½ teaspoon of fine sea salt
- In the medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. The amount of sugar can be adjusted depending on how sweet you like your pudding.
STEP FOUR – Make the Pudding
1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Once the milk is hot and small bubbles are forming around the edges, slowly whisk in the dry ingredients.
- Whisk for 10 minutes until the pudding is the right thickness. You can test it by dipping a spoon in the pudding and if it sticks to the spoon without running off easily, then it’s ready.
- Turn off the heat, add in the butter and vanilla, and stir until they’re well mixed in.
- Spoon the pudding into 4 small bowls.
- Allow the pudding to cool at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- You can eat the pudding when it’s warm or, if you prefer it cold, cover the bowls with plastic wrap and put them in the refrigerator for an hour.
STEP FIVE – Make the Whipped Cream
- In a stand mixer, add 1 cup of whipping cream and whip on high until stiff peaks form. This should take about a minute.
- Add a touch of powdered sugar.
- Top the pudding with the whipped cream and anything else you’d like to add and enjoy!
Recommended serving size: 1 pudding with 1 tablespoon of whipped cream
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat