This Italian oven-baked flatbread is crisp on the outside and soft on the inside, kind of like a pizza without the sauce and cheese. It’s easy to make and goes well with many meals, although we especially enjoy pairing it with soup.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Get out the stand mixer with the paddle attachment.
- Spray a 15×10-inch glass baking dish with canola spray.
- Set up a cooling rack.
STEP TWO – Make the Sponge
1 packet of active dry yeast
1 teaspoon of sugar
⅔ cup of warm water
1 cup of all-purpose flour
- Remove the bowl from the stand mixer.
- Add the warm water and sugar.
- Sprinkle the yeast over the water and gently stir to incorporate.
- Let the yeast mixture sit for 10 minutes to proof.
- Add the flour and mix it in by hand until the sponge is smooth.
- Cover the bowl and allow the sponge to rise in a warm spot for about 30 minutes until it’s puffy.
STEP THREE – Prepare the Dough
⅓ cup of water
¼ cup of dry white wine
⅓ cup of extra-virgin olive oil
3 cups of all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons of coarse sea salt
- Add to the proofed sponge the water, wine, and olive oil.
- Using the paddle attachment, beat the mixture.
- Add the flour and salt and mix until the dough comes together.
- Replace the paddle with the dough hook and knead the dough on medium speed for 3-5 minutes. Every so often, stop the mixer and push the dough into a ball.
- Remove the dough from the bowl, place it on a lightly floured countertop, and knead for 1 minute, adding extra flour as needed.
- Spray the mixer bowl with canola spray and place the dough in it.
- Cover and allow the dough to rise in a warm spot for about 1 hour until it’s doubled.
STEP FOUR – Final Rise and Prepare to Bake
- Press the dough into the prepared baking dish.
- Press your fingertips lightly into the dough to make dimples.
- Cover and let the dough rise for another 45 minutes until it’s doubled again.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F when the dough is almost doubled.
STEP FIVE – Top and Bake
- Dimple the dough with your fingers one more time.
- Drizzle oil olive across the top and sprinkle with coarse sea salt. You can also add herbs, sliced olives, cheese, pesto, or another topping of your choosing.
- Bake the bread for 20 minutes and check for doneness. If focaccia is golden brown, it’s ready.
- Cool briefly on the rack, slice into 16 pieces, and enjoy!
Recommended serving size: 2 pieces
Exchanges: 2 starch