This Italian oven-baked flatbread has a crispy exterior and a soft interior, similar to a pizza without the sauce and cheese. It’s fairly easy to make and pairs well with many meals, although we especially enjoy it alongside soup.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Lightly spray a 9×9-inch metal pan with canola spray.
- Get out a large bowl.
- Set up a cooling rack.
STEP TWO – Make the Dough
1 packet active dry yeast
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup warm water
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- In the large bowl, combine the yeast, flour, water, oil, honey, and salt.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface for 5 minutes until smooth.
- Lightly spray the bowl with canola spray and return the dough to the bowl.
- Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm spot for 1 hour until doubled.
- Press the dough into the pan and dimple the top with your fingertips.
- Cover and let rise for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
STEP THREE – Bake the Bread
- Dimple the dough with your fingertips once more.
- Top with a drizzle of oil olive and a sprinkle of coarse sea salt.
- Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool the focaccia on the cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- Cut the focaccia into 8 pieces and enjoy.
Recommended Serving Size: 1 piece
Exchanges: 1 starch