Poppy seeds are tiny powerhouses of nutrition that add a slightly nutty flavor and great texture to recipes. Pairing them with lemon is common in America with recipes ranging from scones to salad dressings to this delectable cake. We couldn’t think of a better recipe to end Nourish with than this one: a family favorite that’s equally decadent and delicious as it is healthy and nourishing.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Generously spray a tube or Bundt pan with canola spray.
- Get out a stand mixer, a medium bowl, and a small bowl.
- Set up a cooling rack.
STEP TWO – Make the Batter
1 stick unsalted butter
1 cup white sugar
3 large eggs plus 1 egg white
1 ¼ cups sour cream
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons fresh lemon zest
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- In the stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs and egg white and mix until smooth.
- Add the sour cream, lemon juice, and lemon zest and slowly mix to combine.
- In the medium bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and poppy seeds.
- Add the dry to the wet ingredients and stir to incorporate without overmixing.
STEP THREE – Bake the Cake
- Spoon the batter into the tube pan and distribute evenly with a spatula.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cake on the cooling rack for 10-15 minutes while you make the glaze.
- Carefully remove the cake from the pan and cool for another 5-10 minutes. You may need to run a knife around the edges of the pan first.
STEP FOUR – Make the Glaze
½ cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon milk
- In the small bowl, whisk to combine the sugar, lemon juice, and milk.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cake and enjoy!
Recommended Serving Size: 1 slice (⅛ of cake)
Exchanges per Serving: 2 starch, 2 fat
Thank you for joining our journey to wholesome living over the past year. Your support of our blog and positive feedback on our recipes means a lot to us ❤️