This French savory egg dish is often very fancy, however we keep our version on the simpler side. Baked in a pie crust and filled with classic vegetables, cheeses, and spices, quiche is the perfect crowd-pleasing recipe for dinner, lunch, brunch, and more!
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Get out a food processor and 9-inch glass pie pan.
- Get out 2 small bowls and a medium bowl.
STEP TWO – Make the Crust
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
2-3 tablespoons cold water
- Cut the butter into small pieces and blend in the food processor with the flour and salt until incorporated.
- Add 1 tablespoon of water at a time until the ingredients form a ball of dough.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and use a floured rolling pan to roll to a diameter a little larger than the 9-inch pie pan.
- Press into the pan and crimp the overhang around the edges.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
STEP THREE – Make the Filling
2 cups chopped fresh spinach
1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
3 large eggs plus 1 egg white
⅔ cup milk
⅓ cup half-and-half
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon ground pepper
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon paprika
- Separate the spinach and cheeses into the 2 small bowls and set aside.
- In the medium bowl, beat the eggs and egg white with a whisk.
- Add the milk, half-and-half, salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne, and paprika and whisk to incorporate.
STEP FOUR – Bake the Quiche
- Spread half the cheese blend over the crust and top with the spinach.
- Add the remaining cheese blend and top with the egg mixture.
- Bake for 40 minutes until the crust is lightly browned and the filling is set but still a little jiggly.
- Let rest for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Recommended Serving Size: ⅙ of quiche
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 protein, 1 veg, 4 fat