This French savory egg dish is often very rich and fancy, however we keep our version on the lighter and simpler side. Baked in a pie crust and filled with classic vegetables, cheeses, and spices, quiche is the perfect crowd-pleasing recipe for dinner, lunch, brunch, and more!
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Get out a food processor and 9-inch glass pie pan.
- Get out 2 small mixing bowls and a medium mixing bowl.
STEP TWO – Make the Crust
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
2-3 tablespoons cold water
- Cut the butter into small pieces and pulse in the food processor with the flour and salt until the texture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add 1 tablespoon of water at a time until the ingredients form a ball of dough.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and use a floured rolling pan to roll to a diameter a little larger than the 9-inch glass pie pan.
- Press the dough into the pan and crimp the overhang around the edges.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
STEP THREE – Make the Filling
2 cups chopped fresh spinach
1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese
3 large eggs plus 1 egg white
½ cup milk
½ cup half-and-half
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon ground pepper
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon paprika
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Separate the spinach and cheese into the 2 small mixing bowls and set aside.
- In the medium mixing bowl, beat the eggs and egg white with a whisk.
- Add the milk, half-and-half, salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne, paprika, and parmesan cheese and whisk to incorporate.
STEP FOUR – Bake the Quiche
- Spread half the cheese blend over the crust and top with the spinach.
- Add the remaining cheese blend and top with the egg mixture.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until the crust is lightly browned and the filling is set but still has a little jiggle to it.
- Let the quiche cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Recommended Serving Size: ⅙ of quiche
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat, 1 protein