Hundreds of years ago, cocoa powder had a unique reaction to other ingredients during the baking process that produced the prototypical “red velvet” color. This reaction doesn’t happen anymore, so we create our red velvet with natural food coloring like beets or commercial food dye. The result is a luscious and elegant dessert spread with a homemade cream cheese frosting that’s fun to make and eat.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line 12 muffin tins with baking cups.
- Take out ½ a stick of unsalted butter to soften.
- Get out a small glass measuring cup, a stand mixer, and a food processor.
- Set up 2 cooling racks.
STEP TWO – Make the Batter
½ cup milk
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup white sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons red food coloring
- In the small glass measuring cup, combine the milk and vinegar and leave for 5 minutes to sour.
- In the stand mixer, combine the flour, sugar, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cocoa.
- Cut the butter into small pieces, add with the soured milk, egg, vanilla, and food coloring to the food processor, and mix until incorporated.
STEP THREE – Bake the Cupcakes
- Divide the batter among the 12 muffin tins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes on the cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cupcakes from the tins and cool for another 5-10 minutes.
STEP FOUR – Make the Frosting
4 ounces cream cheese
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar
- In the food processor, combine the cream cheese and butter.
- Add the milk, vanilla, and sugar and mix on high until smooth.
- Use a piping bag or a Ziploc bag with a small hole cut in one corner to pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes.
- Top the cupcakes with sprinkles and enjoy!
Recommended Serving Size: 1 cupcake
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat