Julia’s eating disorder turned her off to mac & cheese for many years, however our simple and nourishing recipe helped her reclaim her love for this popular dish. Topped with parmesan and breadcrumbs, it truly is the ultimate comfort food.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Lightly spray an 13×9-inch baking dish or a round casserole dish with canola spray.
- Get out a large pot and a colander.
- Get out a large glass measuring cup and a medium saucepan.
STEP TWO – Cook the Pasta
¾ pound elbow pasta
- Fill the large pot with water, add a shake of salt, and bring to a boil.
- Add the pasta and cook for 1 less minute than directed.
- Drain in the colander, rinse briefly under cold water, and spoon into the baking dish.
STEP THREE – Make the Cheese Sauce
1 ¼ cups milk
1 cup vegetable broth
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
½ teaspoon ground pepper
- In the large glass measuring cup, microwave the milk and broth for 2 minutes.
- In the medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the flour and whisk to combine.
- Slowly add the heated milk and broth and whisk well for 10 minutes until smooth and thick.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cheddar cheese, salt, and pepper until incorporated.
STEP FOUR – Assemble and Bake
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- Combine the sauce with the pasta in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 20 minutes until lightly browned.
- Serve hot.
Recommended Serving Size: ¼ of recipe
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 protein, 2 fat