We had a blast making this fun Asian dish with its flavorful tofu filling. Pan-fried and served with a homemade sweet and sour dipping sauce, the outcome is so delicious that you’ll never want to order in dumplings again!
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Get out a cast iron pot and a large frying pan
- Get out a medium pot, a steamer basket, and a serving platter.
- Get out a small bowl.
STEP TWO – Make the Filling
1 16-ounce block extra-firm tofu
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
5 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons chili paste
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
5 chopped green onions
- Slice the tofu in half horizontally, wrap in paper towels, and place a cast iron skillet on top for 10 minutes to press out some of the moisture.
- In the large frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Use your hands to crumble the tofu onto the hot oil.
- Add the garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce, honey, chili paste, and vinegar and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the sesame seeds and onions.
- Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
STEP THREE – Prepare the Dumplings
32 won ton wrappers (⅔ 12-ounce package)
- Place the wrappers on a clean surface in a diamond shape.
- Divide the filling among them.
- Bring the top and bottom tips together into a triangle.
- Dampen your fingers and pinch to seal the seams.
- Repeat this process until all the wrappers are filled.
STEP FOUR – Steam and Pan-Fry the Dumplings
1 tablespoon sesame oil
- In the large frying pan, heat the oil over high heat.
- Fill the large pot with 2 inches of water and bring to a boil.
- Once the water is boiling, reduce the heat to medium-high.
- Place the steamer basket in the pot and add as many dumplings that will fit without overlapping.
- Cover and steam for 4 minutes.
- Once steamed, add to the pan and pan-fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer to the serving platter.
- Repeat this process until all the dumplings are cooked.
STEP FIVE – Make the Sweet and Sour Sauce
6 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon chili oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 minced green onion
- In the small bowl, combine the soy sauce, vinegar, oil, garlic, and onion.
- Serve alongside the dumplings.
Recommended Serving Size: 8 dumplings with 2 tablespoons sauce
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 protein, 2 fat