We had a blast making this fun Asian dish with its flavorful tofu filling. Pan-fried and served with a homemade sweet and sour dipping sauce, the outcome is so delicious that you’ll never want to order-in dumplings again!
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Get out a cast iron pot and a large frying pan
- Get out a medium pot, a steamer basket, and a serving platter.
- Get out a small mixing bowl.
STEP TWO – Press the Tofu
1 16-ounce block extra-firm tofu
- Wrap the tofu in paper towels.
- Place a cast iron skillet on top for 15 minutes to press out some of the moisture.
STEP THREE – Make the Filling
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
5 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons chili paste
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
5 chopped green onions
- In the large frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Use your hands to crumble the tofu onto the hot oil.
- Add the garlic and cook for 5 minutes, stirring until firm.
- Add the soy sauce, vinegar, honey, and chili paste and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the sesame seeds and onions.
- Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
STEP FOUR – Prepare the Dumplings
1 package square dumpling wrappers
- Place 1 dumpling wrapper at a time on a clean surface in a diamond shape.
- Add a heaping teaspoon of filling to the center.
- Bring the top and bottom tips together into a triangle.
- Wet your fingers and pinch to seal the seams.
- Repeat this process until all the wrappers are filled.
STEP FIVE – Steam and Pan-Fry the Dumplings
1 tablespoon sesame oil
- In the large frying pan, heat the oil over high heat.
- Fill the large pot with 2 inches of water and bring to a boil.
- Once the water is boiling, reduce the heat to medium-high.
- Place the steamer basket in the pot and add as many dumplings that will fit without overlapping.
- Cover and steam for 5 minutes.
- Once the dumplings are steamed, add to the pan and pan-fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer the fried dumplings to the serving platter.
- Repeat this process until all the dumplings are steamed and fried.
STEP SIX – Make the Sweet and Sour Sauce
1 tablespoon chili oil
6 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 finely chopped green onion
- In the small mixing bowl, combine the oil, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, and onion.
- Serve the sweet and sour sauce alongside the dumplings.
Recommended Serving Size: 6 dumplings
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 protein, 1 fat