This easy-to-make dish is great for lunch, dinner, a picnic, or a road trip. It’s the best when summer vegetables and herbs are still available, but we enjoy it in colder weather too.
STEP ONE – Make the Pasta Salad
½ pound of cooked pasta of your choice
1 large tomato
1 pepper (red, yellow, or orange)
2-3 green onions
3 leaves of basil
8-10 Kalamata olives
¼ pound of fresh whole cheese (mozzarella, parmesan, Asiago, or Romano)
2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
Juice of ½ a lemon
Coarse sea salt
- Place the cooked pasta in a large serving bowl.
- Dice the tomato, cucumber, pepper, and green onions into uniform pieces and add them to the pasta.
- Slice the basil and olives and add them to the salad.
- Cut the cheese into small chunks and add those as well.
- Dress with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and lemon juice.
- Season with salt and pepper (about ½ teaspoon of each).
- Toss the salad, adjust the the flavor to your liking, and chill in the refrigerator until it’s ready to serve.
Recommended serving size: 1 cup of salad
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 veg, 1 fat