This quick and easy salad is the perfect dish for lunch, dinner, a picnic, or a road trip. While it’s the best in the summer when garden-fresh vegetables and herbs are readily available, we enjoy it in colder weather too.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Get out a large pot, a colander, and a large salad bowl.
- Get out a small mixing bowl.
STEP TWO – Make the Salad
¾ pound uncooked pasta (fusilli, shell, or elbow)
1 large diced tomato
1 diced cucumber
1 diced bell pepper
2 diced green onions
3 sliced fresh basil leaves
8-10 sliced Kalamata olives
¼ pound whole cheese (mozzarella, parmesan, Asiago, or Romano) cut into cubes
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the pasta and cook for as long as directed.
- Drain the pasta in the colander, rinse briefly under cold water, and place in a large salad bowl.
- Add the tomato, cucumber, pepper, onion, basil, olives, and cheese to the bowl and combine.
STEP THREE – Make the Dressing
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
½ teaspoon ground pepper
- In the small mixing bowl, combine the oil, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Dress the salad, gently toss the incorporate, and chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Recommended Serving Size: ¼ of recipe
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 protein, 1 veg, 1 fat