This family favorite soup recipe is simple to make, delectable to eat, and so comforting on cold winter days. The parmesan cheese adds a satisfying creaminess to the classic tomato base, while the croutons provide a nice crunch on top.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Lightly spray a large baking sheet with canola spray.
- Get out a large stockpot and a food processor or blender.
- Get out a large bowl.
STEP TWO – Make the Soup
1 tablespoon canola oil
½ medium peeled and diced onion
3 peeled and minced garlic cloves
2 teaspoons fine sea salt
1 teaspoon ground pepper
½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
4 cups vegetable broth
1 28-ounce can tomatoes
3 tablespoons tomato paste
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
¼ cup half-and-half
- In the large stockpot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes, and tomato paste.
- Bring the soup to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Cool briefly, then puree in the food processor or blender.
- Return to the pot and slowly whisk in the flour, parmesan cheese, and half-and-half.
- Once thickened, remove the pot from the heat and ladle the soup into bowls.
STEP THREE – Make the Croutons
4 slices rustic bread (Italian, country, or sourdough) cut into 1-inch squares.
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning
¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- In the large bowl, add the bread and drizzle with the oil.
- Add the garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper and toss together by hand.
- Bake for 15 minutes, tossing halfway through, until the croutons are crisp and lightly browned.
- Top the tomato parmesan soup with croutons and serve hot.
Recommended Serving Size: 2 cups
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 veg, 1 fat