Our garden is bursting with zucchinis in the heat of the summer, and these fritters are a perfect way to put them to good use. Served with a homemade dipping sauce, they’re a seasonal treat.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Get out a large cheese grater and a colander.
- Get out a large frying pan and a spatula.
- Get out a large bowl.
STEP TWO – Prep the Zucchini
3 ½ – 4 cups of shredded zucchini
- Cut off the ends of the zucchini and grate them on the large holes of the grater.
- Toss with a little bit of salt.
- Put the shredded zucchini in a colander in the sink to drain.
STEP THREE – Make the Binder
½ cup of shredded parmesan cheese
1 cup of panko bread crumbs
¼ cup of minced onion or green onions
1 tablespoon of minced garlic
Salt, pepper, and paprika
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix well.
STEP FOUR – Combine and Cook
Oil for cooking (olive, canola, etc.)
- Heat the frying pan over medium heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Squeeze as much liquid out of the zucchini as you can with your hands or a kitchen towel.
- Add the zucchini to the bowl with the other ingredients.
- Use your hands to incorporate all the ingredients. The batter should be soft and easy to form into patties. If it’s too wet, add more breadcrumbs.
- Make 8 patties and cook 4 at a time. Allow one side to cook for 5-6 minutes before flipping. Let the other side cook until it’s crispy and golden-brown.
- Place the patties on paper towels to soak up any extra oil.
- Serve with our homemade sour cream dipping sauce.
STEP FIVE – Make the Dipping Sauce
½ cup of sour cream
½ cup of plain yogurt
Juice of ½ -1 lemon
Dash of hot sauce
Shake of salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika
Fresh parsley, finely chopped
1. Mix the ingredients together in a bowl.
2. Adjust the seasonings to your taste.
3. Keep cold until ready to serve with the warm zucchini fritters.
Recommended serving size: 2-3 fritters and 1 tablespoon of sauce
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 veg, 1 fat