This recipe is a beautiful and healthy creation to enjoy as a snack, dessert, or compliment to a main meal. All three components can be adjusted to your taste or to what ingredients you have available in the house.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Preheat the oven to 250°F.
- Cover two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Get out a large mixing bowl and a small mixing bowl.
STEP TWO – Bake the Granola
3 cups of old-fashioned oats
2 cups of chopped or whole nuts and seeds (almonds, peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, etc.)
1 cup of shredded coconut
¼ cup of brown sugar
½ teaspoon of cinnamon
¼ cup of liquid sweetener (maple syrup, honey, or agave nectar)
¼ cup of canola or extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon of sea salt
- In the large mixing bowl, mix together the oats, nuts, coconut, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- In the small mixing bowl, combine the liquid sweetener, oil, and salt.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the large bowl and mix well to combine.
- Bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes until the granola is golden-brown.
STEP THREE – Prepare the Mix-Ins
1 cup of dried fruit cut in small pieces (raisins, cranberries, cherries, mango, etc.)
- Mix together any combination of dried fruit of your choice.
STEP FOUR – Assemble
- In a large bowl, toss together the granola and dried fruit.
- Let the final product completely cool before putting it away in an airtight container.
Yogurt (strawberry, vanilla, etc.)
Fruit (strawberries, blueberries, etc.)
- Find a fun glass, cup, or jar to use for the parfait.
- Layer a couple of tablespoons of yogurt on the bottom.
- Top with fruit, then a couple of tablespoons of granola.
- Repeat this process with another layer.
- Put the parfait in the refrigerator until it’s ready to eat.
Recommended serving size: 1 parfait
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat, 1 dairy*
*With Greek yogurt, 1 starch and 1 dairy are substituted for 2 proteins