This popular Southeast Asian takeout dish makes for a tasty and vibrant meal. We appreciate its simple and wholesome ingredients and that it can be augmented to our preferred taste. Feel free to substitute the tofu for another protein, eliminate the eggs, and adjust the toppings.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lightly spray a large baking sheet with canola spray.
- Get out a cast iron skillet and a shallow rectangular dish.
- Get out a large pot, a colander, and a large serving bowl.
- Get out 2 small bowls and a large frying pan.
STEP TWO – Make the Tofu
1 16-ounce block extra-firm tofu
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Slice the tofu in half horizontally, wrap in paper towels, and place a cast iron skillet on top for 10 minutes to press out some of the moisture.
- In a shallow rectangular dish, combine the soy sauce and oil.
- Cut the tofu into ¾-inch cubes, add to the dish, and toss with the sauce.
- Let the tofu marinate for 10 minutes.
- Once marinated, sprinkle with the cornstarch and toss to coat all sides.
- Place on the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, turning halfway through, until nicely browned.
STEP THREE – Cook the Noodles
1 16-ounce package rice noodles
- Fill the large pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Add the rice noodles and cook for as long as directed.
- Drain in the colander and rinse briefly under cold water.
- Toss with a little sesame oil and set aside in the serving bowl.
STEP FOUR – Make the Sauce
½ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
¼ cup vegetable stock
¼ cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons chili sauce
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons creamy peanut butter
2 teaspoons hot sauce
- In the 1st small bowl, combine the soy sauce, stock, honey, vinegar, chili sauce, lime juice, peanut butter, and hot sauce. Set aside.
STEP FIVE – Assemble the Dish
1 14-ounce packet uncooked rice noodles
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 cup thinly sliced crunchy vegetables (asparagus, broccoli, bok choy, etc.)
1 large egg
2 tablespoons shredded carrots
2 tablespoons chopped peanuts
2 tablespoons chopped green onions
2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
- In the large frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the vegetables pan, cook for 2-3 minutes, and set aside in the 2nd small bowl.
- Add the sauce for 3 minutes to thicken, then return to the 1st small bowl and set aside.
- While the pan is still hot, scramble the egg and season with a dash of salt and pepper.
- Add the tofu, noodles, and vegetables and toss to incorporate.
- Transfer the ingredients to the serving bowl and mix in the onions, carrots, peanuts, and cilantro.
- Serve warm with a lime wedge on the side.
Recommended Serving Size: ¼ of recipe
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 protein, 1 fat