This popular Southeast Asian dish makes for a delicious and vibrant meal. We love its simple ingredients and that it can be augmented and adjusted to our taste. Feel free to substitute meat or fish for the tofu, eliminate the eggs, and consider other toppings.
1 16-ounce package of rice noodles
1 block of extra-firm tofu
1-2 cups of crunchy vegetables (asparagus, broccoli, bok choy, etc.)
Sweet chili sauce
Low-sodium soy sauce
Sweetener (maple syrup, agave nectar, honey, or brown sugar)
Minced onion and garlic
STEP ONE – Prepare the Tofu
- Cut the tofu into small chunks, about 1” cubes.
- Let the tofu marinate in a mixture of soy sauce and lime juice for 15 minutes or so, tossing periodically so all sides absorb the marinade.
- Heat the oven to 350°F, spray a large baking sheet with canola spray, and bake the tofu for 30 minutes, turning every 10 minutes or so. It should be nicely browned when it’s done. Pan-frying works too.
STEP TWO – Prepare the Noodles
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Add the rice noodles and cook for 5 minutes.
- Drain and then run cold water over the noodles.
- Toss with a little sesame oil and set aside for later.
STEP THREE – Prepare the Sauce
- Mix together ⅓ a cup of soy sauce, 3 tablespoons of rice vinegar, ½ a cup of vegetable stock, ⅓ a cup of sweetener, 2 tablespoons of sweet chili sauce, a dash of hot sauce, 1 tablespoon of minced garlic, and the juice of 1 lime.
- Set aside.
STEP FOUR – Assemble
- Heat a large frying pan with 1-2 tablespoons of mild oil (canola, safflower, or grapeseed).
- Add minced onion and garlic.
- Sauté for a few minutes and then add in the crunchy vegetables for another few minutes. Alternatively, you can blanch the crunchy vegetables so they’re more cooked through.
- Add the rice noodles and sauce to warm up.
- Remove everything from the pan into a serving dish.
- While pan is still hot, crack an egg and mix around to scramble.
- Add a sprinkle of chili flakes.
- Toss the egg and tofu in with the noodles and vegetables.
- Sprinkle crushed peanuts, sliced green onions, cilantro, shredded carrots on top of the dish and add a lime wedge on the side.
- Serve and enjoy.
Recommended serving size: 1 cup
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 protein, 1 fat, 1 veg