This simple fan-favorite recipe is a bit on the lighter side than Toll House. For extra nutrition and variety, add in shredded coconut or ground nuts.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Take a stick of unsalted butter out of the refrigerator to soften.
- Set the oven to 375°F and move the oven racks to the middle.
- Lightly spray two large baking sheets with canola spray.
- Set up the stand mixer.
- Get out a medium bowl and two cooling racks.
STEP TWO – Make the Batter
¾ stick of unsalted butter
½ cup of white sugar
½ cup of brown sugar
½ teaspoon of vanilla
1 large egg
1 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon of baking soda
½ teaspoon of baking powder
½ teaspoon of sea salt
1 cup of chocolate chips
- In the mixer, blend the butter and sugars on medium speed until they’re light and creamy. Add the vanilla and egg until they’re combined.
- In a medium bowl, mix all the dry ingredients until they’re well-incorporated.
- By hand, mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients just until they’re combined. At this point, you can incorporate any add-ins like coconut or nuts.
- Scoop up 1 tablespoon of batter at a time and roll it into a ball. Place 10 on each baking sheet.
STEP THREE – Bake
- Bake the cookies for 5 minutes.
- Switch the baking sheets in their position in the oven so the cookies bake evenly.
- Bake for another 5 minutes. If the cookies are lightly brown around the edges, take them out. If not, bake for another 2 minutes. It’s important not to overbake them.
- Transfer the cookies onto the cooling racks.
- Let the cookies cool for 5-10 minutes and enjoy!
Makes approximately 20 cookies
Recommended serving size: 2 cookies
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat