Every Sunday night, our family sits down together to enjoy this cheesy and comforting Italian staple. We prepare it New-York style thin crust, however by using a smaller pan, the crust can easily be the thickness of your choosing. The toppings, as well, are adjustable and ample, with our favorites being spinach and black olives.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Lightly spray a 14-inch diameter pizza pan with canola spray.
- Get out a large bowl, a medium saucepan, and a food processor.
STEP TWO – Make the Dough
¾ cup lukewarm water
1 packet dry active yeast
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
- In the large bowl, pour the water over the yeast and whisk until fully dissolved.
- Add the salt and sugar, then the flour, and whisk to combine.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 5 minutes until smooth, adding more flour as needed.
- Lightly spray the bowl with canola spray and return the dough to the bowl.
- Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise for 30 minutes while you make the sauce.
STEP THREE – Make the Marinara Sauce
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
½ small peeled and minced onion
2 teaspoons fine sea salt
1 teaspoon ground pepper
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 peeled and minced garlic cloves
1 15-ounce can tomatoes or 4 large seeded and diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 fresh chopped basil leaves
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
- In the medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, salt, pepper, and pepper flakes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, and basil.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and honey and stir to incorporate.
- Puree in the food processor and set aside.
STEP FOUR – Assemble and Bake
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Place a kitchen towel under the pizza pan, then place the dough in the center and use your fingers to press to the edges.
- Spread the sauce across the entire surface of the dough.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the sauce.
- Add your choice of toppings or keep plain.
- Bake for 18 minutes until the crust and cheese are lightly browned.
- Transfer the pizza to a large cutting board and cut into 8 slices with a pizza cutter.
- Serve hot.
Recommended Serving Size: 2 slices
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 protein, 1 veg, 1 fat