Soft and fluffy on the inside and topped with a flavorful garlicky glaze, these little knots pair perfectly with a warm bowl of soup or a fresh salad. The dough reminds us of pizza, making for a fun preparation and familiar bite.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Lightly spray 2 large baking sheets with canola spray.
- Get out a small bowl, a large bowl, and a small glass measuring cup.
- Set up 2 cooling racks.
STEP TWO – Make the Dough
¾ cup lukewarm water
1 packet dry active yeast
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- In the small bowl, pour the water over the yeast and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir to combine and let sit for another 5 minutes frothy.
- In the large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt.
- Make a well in the center, add the oil and yeast mixture, and mix to form a ball of dough.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 3 minutes until smooth.
- Lightly spray the large bowl with canola spray and return the dough to the bowl.
- Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm spot for 1 hour.
STEP THREE – Make the Knots
- Divide the dough into 4 pieces.
- Divide each piece again into 4 smaller pieces.
- Roll each piece into a rope and then into a knot, dusting with flour to prevent sticking as needed.
- Place the knots on the baking sheets, leaving enough space in-between, and brush with a little olive oil.
- Loosely cover the sheets and let rise for 1 hour until doubled again.
- Toward the end of the hour, preheat the oven to 400°F with 2 racks in the middle.
STEP FOUR – Bake the Knots
- Uncover the risen knots and bake for 6 minutes.
- Switch the sheets and bake for another 6 minutes until golden.
- Cool the knots on the cooling rack for 5-10 minutes.
STEP FIVE – Make the Glaze
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In the small glass measuring cup, microwave the butter and garlic for 30 seconds.
- Add the salt and parsley and mix to combine.
- Brush the glaze on top of the garlic knots.
- Serve warm.
Recommended Serving Size: 2 knots
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat