This colorful weeknight meal of sliced and sautéed vegetables served over a bed of fluffy rice is so simple and satisfying. An Asian-inspired sauce drizzled over top completes the dish.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Get out a medium pot with a tight lid and a fine mesh strainer.
- Get out 2 small mixing bowls, a large frying pan, and a serving dish.
STEP TWO – Cook the Rice
1 ½ cups rice (medium grain, jasmine, or sushi)
2 ¾ cups water
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon canola oil
- Fill the medium pot with the water, add the salt and oil, and bring to a boil.
- Place the rice in a fine mesh strainer and run under cold water for 1 minute.
- Add the rice to the pot and stir once.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook covered for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and steam the rice for 10 minutes.
STEP THREE – Make the Sauce
⅓ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
¼ cup vegetable broth
¼ cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons cold water
- In the 1st small bowl, whisk to combine the soy sauce, broth, and sweetener.
- In the 2nd small bowl, combine the cornstarch and water.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the sauce and mix well.
- Set aside.
STEP FOUR – Cook the Vegetables
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 large peeled carrot
½ medium peeled onion
1 large bell pepper
1 ½ cups broccoli
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
½ teaspoon ground pepper
1 tablespoon minced garlic
¼ teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- In the large frying pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Cut the carrot, onion, and pepper into long, thin strips.
- Cut the broccoli into small pieces.
- Add the carrots to the pan and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the onions, peppers, and broccoli and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the salt, pepper, garlic, and ginger and stir to incorporate.
- Slowly pour the sauce over the vegetables and stir until thickened.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and spoon into the serving dish.
- Top the rice with the vegetables and sauce and serve hot.
Recommended Serving Size: ¼ of stir fry
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 veg, 1 fat