This colorful weeknight meal of sliced and sautéed vegetables served over a bed of fluffy rice is so simple and satisfying. An Asian-inspired sauce drizzled over top completes the dish.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Get out a medium pot with a tight lid, a fine mesh strainer, and a serving dish.
- Get out small glass measuring cup, a small bowl, and a large frying pan.
STEP TWO – Cook the Rice
1 ½ cups uncooked rice (medium grain, jasmine, or sushi)
2 ¾ cups water
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon canola oil
- Fill the medium pot with the water, add the salt and oil, and bring to a boil.
- Place the rice in a fine mesh strainer and run under cold water for 1 minute.
- Add to the pot and stir once.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook covered for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and steam covered for 10 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and spoon into the serving dish.
STEP THREE – Cook the Vegetables
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 large peeled carrot sliced into thin strips
1 large bell pepper sliced into thin strips
1 ½ cups broccoli cut into small pieces
½ medium peeled onion sliced into thin strips
1 tablespoon minced garlic
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
½ teaspoon ground pepper
¼ teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- In the large frying pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the carrot to the pan and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the pepper, broccoli, and onion and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, salt, pepper, and ginger, stir to incorporate, and cook for 1 minute.
STEP FOUR – Make the Sauce and Assemble
⅓ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
¼ cup vegetable broth
¼ cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons cold water
- In the small glass measuring cup, whisk to combine the soy sauce, broth, and sugar.
- In the small bowl, combine the cornstarch and water.
- Add to the sauce and mix well.
- Slowly pour over the vegetables and stir until thickened.
- Add the sauce and vegetables to the rice in the serving dish.
- Serve hot.
Recommended Serving Size: ¼ of stir fry
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 veg, 1 fat