These little cakes with their gooey chocolatey interior are the perfect treat to celebrate the New Year. Crushed peppermint or candy canes make for a delicious and seasonal topping.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Set the oven to 400°F with an oven rack in the middle.
- Spray 4 6-ounce ramekins with canola spray and place them on a baking sheet.
- Get out a large mixing bowl and a whisk.
STEP TWO – Assemble and Bake
⅓ cup of unsalted butter
½ cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup of powdered sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 cup of all-purpose flour
¼ cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- In the large bowl, melt the butter and chocolate chips for 30-45 seconds in the microwave.
- Whisk together until they’re completely melted.
- Mix in the sugar, followed by the eggs and vanilla.
- Add the flour and cocoa powder and stir to just combine.
- Divide the batter into the 4 ramekins.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Check to see if the edges are brown and the middle is a little soft. Add another minute or two in the oven if needed.
- Let the cakes cool for 1 minute and then invert each one (turn upside down) onto 4 plates.
- Top with crushed peppermint and serve warm.
Recommended serving size: 1 lava cake
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 fat