This recipe is elegant, easy to make, and delicious. It’s one of Katherine’s favorite desserts, so we’ve made it special for her birthday tomorrow.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Set the oven to 375°F with an oven rack in the middle.
- Lightly spray a baking sheet with canola spray.
- Get out 2 medium bowls.
- Set up a cooling rack.
STEP TWO – Prepare the Dough
1 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon of baking powder
3 tablespoons of white sugar
4 tablespoons of cold unsalted butter
½ cup of sour cream or “sour milk” (½ cup of milk + 1 tablespoon of white vinegar)
½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- In one bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix well.
- In the other bowl, whisk together the egg, sour cream, and vanilla until they’re well-incorporated.
- Cut the butter into smaller pieces and add to the bowl with the dry ingredients. Use your fingers to combine them until they resemble coarse crumbs.
- Add the wet ingredients and stir to combine. Be careful not to over-mix.
STEP THREE – Bake
- Drop the dough in 4 even circles onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the tips of the shortcakes are lightly browned.
- Transfer the shortcakes to the cooling racks.
STEP FOUR – Prepare the Strawberries
We like to wash and cut fresh strawberries into quarters without adding sugar. If you prefer softer and sweetened strawberries, follow these steps:
- Wash and quarter a 16-ounce container of strawberries.
- Combine with ¼ cup of sugar.
- Cover mixture and set it aside for 30-60 minutes.
STEP FIVE – Make the Whipped Cream
- In a stand mixer, add 1 cup of whipping cream and whip on high until stiff peaks form. This takes just a minute or so.
- Add a touch of powdered sugar.
STEP SIX – Assemble
- Cut the shortcakes in half horizontally.
- Spoon ¼ of the strawberries onto the bottom of each shortcake.
- Top each shortcake with whipped cream and cover with the top.
Makes 4 strawberry shortcakes
Recommended serving size: 1 shortcake (with strawberries and 1 tablespoon of whipped cream)
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat