This is an easy and delicious dessert that we usually save for special occasions. The light lemony filling combines beautifully with the flaky golden crust.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Get out an 8” square metal pan. It doesn’t need to be oiled.
- Get out 2 medium size bowls and a cooling rack.
STEP TWO – Prepare the Crust
6 tablespoons of unsalted butter, softened
1 cup of all-purpose flour
¼ cup of powdered sugar
- Add the flour and sugar to one of the bowls and mix well. Add in the softened butter and use your fingers to incorporate all three ingredients.
- Press the crust batter into the baking pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
STEP THREE – Prepare the Filling
2 large eggs
1 cup of sugar
2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon of baking powder
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk until they’re frothy.
- Add in the rest of the filling ingredients and mix well.
STEP FOUR – Assemble and Bake
- Pour the filling over the baked crust and place the pan in the oven for 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Cool completely, then run a sharp knife around the edges to loosen it from the pan.
- Carefully transfer the square from the pan to a cutting board and cut into 9 bars with a sharp knife.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Recommended serving size: 1 bar
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat