The simple preparation and use of common pantry ingredients have made these delectable bars a regular in our kitchen. The light lemony filling combines beautifully with the flaky golden crust to create a perfect bite.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Take out a stick of unsalted butter to soften.
- Get out an 8×8-inch metal pan and 2 medium bowls.
- Set up a cooling rack.
STEP TWO – Make the Crust
1 cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup powdered sugar
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- In the 1st medium bowl, combine the flour and sugar.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and use your fingers to incorporate until the ingredients form a ball of dough.
- Press the dough into the pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes until lightly browned around the edges.
STEP THREE – Make the Filling
2 large eggs
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- In the 2nd medium mixing bowl, whisk the eggs until frothy.
- Add the sugar, flour, baking powder, lemon juice, and lemon zest and mix well.
STEP FOUR – Bake the Bars
- Pour the filling into the crust and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool the bar on the cooling rack for 5-10 minutes.
- Carefully transfer to a cutting board. You may need to run a knife around the edges of the pan first to loosen the bar.
- Cut into 9 individual bars and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Recommended Serving Size: 1 bar
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat