The fresh lemon juice and zest greatly enhance the flavor of this scrumptious muffin recipe, while the poppy seeds provide the fluffy batter with nutrition and texture.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Preheat the oven to 350°F with 2 oven racks in the middle.
- Lightly spray or line 12 muffin tins with baking cups.
- Take out a stick of unsalted butter to soften.
- Get out a glass measuring cup, a stand mixer, a small mixing bowl, and a medium mixing bowl.
- Set up a cooling rack.
STEP TWO – Make the Batter
½ cup milk
2 tablespoons white vinegar
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup white sugar
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- In the glass measuring cup, combine the milk and vinegar and leave for 5 minutes to sour.
- In the stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add the egg yolks and set the egg whites aside in the small mixing bowl.
- Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla, and soured milk and slowly mix to incorporate.
- Whip the egg whites with a fork for 1 minutes until foamy.
- In the medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, fold in the egg whites, and incorporate by hand without overmixing.
STEP THREE – Bake the Muffins
- Divide the batter among the 12 muffin tins.
- Top with a sprinkle of raw sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool the muffins on the cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove the muffins from the tins and cool for another 5-10 minutes.
Recommended Serving Size: 1 muffin
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat