Dry, crunchy, and oblong in shape, these Italian biscuits pair especially well with a hot cup of tea or coffee. They aren’t overly sweet and taste excellent with any combination of nuts, dried fruits, spices, or powders, although our favorite flavor pairing is cherry almond.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lightly spray a large baking sheet with canola spray.
- Get out a stand mixer and a medium bowl.
- Set up a cooling rack.
STEP TWO – Make the Dough
3 large eggs
1 cup white sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
½ cup mix-ins (citrus zest, chopped dried fruit, chopped or ground nuts, seeds, etc.)
½ tablespoon powder or spices (cocoa powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.)
- In the stand mixer, cream the eggs and sugar on medium speed for 5 minutes.
- In the medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, mix-ins, and powders.
- Add the dry to the wet ingredients and stir to incorporate without overmixing.
- Let rest for 10 minutes.
STEP THREE – Bake the Biscotti
- Scrape the dough onto the baking sheet and use your hands to form a 12-inch-long and 6-inch-wide oblong shape.
- Bake for 18 minutes until lightly browned.
- Transfer the biscotti to the cooling rack and cool for 5 minutes.
- Place the biscotti on a cutting board and use a bread knife to cut width-wise into 16 ½-inch-long pieces.
- Place the pieces sideways on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 5 minutes.
- Flip and bake for another 5 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
- Transfer the biscotti to the cooling rack and cool for another 5-10 minutes.
Recommended Serving Size: 2 biscotti
Exchanges: 2 starch