This cinnamon sugar cookie originated in Germany but became popular in New England a long time ago. We love the whimsical name, the simplicity, and the soft yet crispy texture our recipe creates.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Preheat the oven to 350°F with 2 oven racks in the middle.
- Lightly spray 2 large baking sheets with canola spray.
- Take out a stick of unsalted butter to soften.
- Get out a stand mixer and 2 small bowls.
- Set up 2 cooling racks.
STEP TWO – Make the Dough
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
½ cup white sugar
½ cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- In the stand mixer, cream the butter and sugars on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- In the 1st small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the dry to the wet ingredients and stir to incorporate without overmixing.
STEP THREE – Make the Topping
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In the 2nd small bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon.
STEP FOUR – Bake the Cookies
- Shape 1 tablespoon of dough at a time into a ball and roll in the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Place on the baking sheets and use your fingers to press into ½-inch thick circles.
- Bake for 6 minutes.
- Switch the sheets and bake for another 6 minutes until lightly browned around the edges.
- Transfer the cookies to the cooling racks and cool for 5-10 minutes.
Recommended Serving Size: 3 cookies
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat