Snickerdoodles are a cinnamon sugar cookie that became popular in New England a long time ago. We love the name, the simplicity, and the soft yet crispy texture our recipe creates.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Take a stick of unsalted butter out of the refrigerator to soften.
- Set the oven to 350°F with two oven racks in the middle.
- Lightly spray two large baking sheets with canola spray.
- Get out the stand mixer and a small mixing bowl.
- Set up the cooling racks.
STEP TWO – Make the Dough
¾ stick of unsalted butter
½ cup of white sugar
½ cup of brown sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 ½ cups of white flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
½ teaspoon of sea salt
- In the mixer, blend the butter and sugars together on medium speed until they’re light and creamy.
- Add the vanilla and egg until they’re well combined.
- In a small bowl, mix all the dry ingredients until they’re well incorporated.
- Put the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix by hand to blend.
STEP THREE – Make the Topping
2 tablespoons of white sugar
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- In the small bowl, mix the sugar and cinnamon together.
- Take one tablespoon of the cookie dough at a time and roll it into a ball. Then roll it in the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Place the dough on the baking sheets.
- With your fingers, press down each ball until they’re ½-inch thick and round in shape.
- Bake for 6 minutes, then switch the baking sheets in the oven so the cookies evenly bake.
- Bake for another 6 minutes until the edges start to brown.
- Transfer the cookies to the cooling racks.
Makes approximately 18 cookies
Recommended serving size: 2 cookies
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat