The perfect healthy side for veggie burgers, these oven fries are easy to make and taste delicious.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Preheat the oven to 400°F with an oven rack in the middle.
- Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with canola oil.
- Get out a cutting board, a sharp knife, a colander, and a large bowl.
STEP TWO – Cut and Soak
Sweet potatoes – 1 medium-size potato is good for 2 people
(Note: the fresher the potatoes, the better they cook and the tastier they turn out.)
- Peel the sweet potato and cut it into long, thin strips.
- Fill the bowl with cold water and let the sliced potatoes soak in it to remove some of the starch.
- Leave the potatoes soaking for 15-60 minutes. You can do this before starting the veggie burger recipe.
STEP THREE – Prep to Bake
Extra-virgin olive oil
- Place the colander in the sink, dump the soaking potato slices into it, and rinse. Shake out as much water as possible. Dab dry with a kitchen towel.
- While still in the colander, lightly dust the potatoes with cornstarch.
- Shake off excess cornstarch and move the potatoes from the colander back into the bowl. Make sure the bowl is dry before doing this.
- Lightly toss the potatoes with olive oil and spices.
STEP THREE – Bake
- Spread the potato slices across the baking sheet so they don’t overlap. Use 2 sheets if you’re making more than 1 potato.
- Put the potatoes in the oven and set the timer for 10 minutes.
- Toss the potatoes every 10 minutes until they’re lightly browned and crispy. This usually takes about 30 minutes.
- Add a dash of salt before serving and any other spices you’d like, such as cayenne, paprika, or Italian seasoning.
Recommended serving size: ½ of sweet potato
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat