These simple and delicious bars are sure to please any pie fan. Although cherry is our personal favorite, the recipe can be adapted for other fruit fillings as well. From blueberry to apple to peach, the options are abundant!
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lightly spray a 9-inch metal baking pan with canola spray.
- Take out a stick of unsalted butter to soften.
- Get out a stand mixer.
- Set up a cooling rack.
STEP TWO – Make the Dough
1 stick unsalted butter
1 cup white sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- In the stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Add the flour and salt and stir to incorporate without overmixing.
STEP THREE – Assemble and Bake
1 21-ounce can cherry pie filling
- Spoon two-thirds of the dough into the baking pan and evenly distribute across the bottom.
- Pour the pie filling over the dough.
- Drop the remaining dough over the filling 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Cool the square on the cooling rack for 5-10 minutes.
- Carefully transfer to a cutting board. You may need to run a knife around the edges of the pan first.
- Cut into 9 bars and serve warm.
Recommended Serving Size: 1 bar
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat