We love these fluffy vanilla cupcakes so much that they’re our go-to dessert for many birthday celebrations. Topped with homemade cream cheese frosting and sprinkles, they’re a sweet treat!
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line 12 muffin tins with baking cups.
- Take out a stick of unsalted butter to soften.
- Get out a stand mixer, a small bowl, and a food processor.
- Set up 2 cooling racks.
STEP TWO – Make the Batter
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup white sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
⅔ cup milk
⅓ cup sour cream
¼ cup canola oil
1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- In the stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Add the milk, sour cream, and oil and slowly mix until incorporated.
- In the small bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry to the wet ingredients and stir to incorporate without overmixing.
STEP THREE – Bake the Cupcakes
- Divide the batter among the 12 muffin tins.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes on the cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove the from the tins and cool for another 5-10 minutes.
STEP FOUR – Make the Frosting
2 ounces cream cheese
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
½ teaspoon milk
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup powdered sugar
- In the food processor, combine the cream cheese and butter.
- Add the milk, vanilla, and sugar and mix on high speed until smooth.
- Use a piping bag or a Ziploc bag with a small hole cut in one corner to pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes.
- Top with sprinkles and enjoy!
Recommended Serving Size: 1 cupcake
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat