Originating in Poland and similar to the French crepe, a blintz is a soft pancake wrapped like an envelope around a velvety cheese filling. For extra sweetness and flavor, we drizzle our blintzes with a vibrant strawberry sauce that you may recognize from our cheesecake recipe.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Lightly spray a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with canola spray.
- Get out a small glass measuring cup, a food processor or blender, and an 8-inch frying pan.
- Get out a large serving plate and a small saucepan.
- Set up a cooling rack.
STEP TWO – Make the Batter
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 ½ cups milk
3 large eggs
⅔ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- In the small glass measuring cup, microwave the butter for 40 seconds.
- In the food processor or blender, blend the milk, eggs, flour, and salt until smooth.
- Add the melted butter and blend until incorporated.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
STEP THREE – Make the Filling
6 tablespoons cream cheese
1 cup cottage cheese
¼ cup white sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In the food processor or blender, blend the cream cheese, cottage cheese, sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
- Set aside and preheat the oven to 350°F.
STEP FOUR – Make the Blintzes
- In the 8-inch frying pan, melt a little butter over medium heat.
- Pour 3 tablespoons of batter onto the pan and tilt to coat the entire bottom.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Lift one end with a rubber spatula and use your hands to flip.
- Cook for another 30 seconds until lightly golden.
- Transfer the blintz to the cooling rack and add the next round of batter.
- Once all the blintzes are cooked and cooled, place on a clean surface.
- Fill each with 2 tablespoons of filling and fold the opposite sides over the filling.
- Fold over the lower piece and roll into an envelope shape.
- Place seam side down in the baking pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes until lightly browned around the edges.
- Transfer the blintzes to the serving platter.
STEP FIVE – Make the Strawberry Sauce
2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
¼ cup white sugar
- In the small saucepan over medium heat, combine the strawberries and sugar and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Puree the sauce in the food processor and drizzle over the blintzes.
Recommended Serving Size: 4 blintzes with 2 tablespoons strawberry sauce
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 protein, 1 fruit, 1 fat