What’s not to adore about warm baked fruit topped with a crispy streusel topping? While this fruity dessert is the best in the fall when local apples are fresh and abundant, we enjoy it year-round for the outstanding taste and nutrition.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lightly spray a 9-inch glass pie pan with canola spray.
- Get out 2 large bowls.
- Set up a cooling rack.
STEP TWO – Make the Filling
6 peeled and thinly sliced apples
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
¼ cup white sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In the 1st large bowl, toss the apples by hand with the lemon juice.
- Add the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg and toss again.
- Pour into the pie pan.
STEP THREE – Make the Topping
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup brown sugar
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup old fashioned oats
- In the 2nd large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and use your fingers to incorporate into the dry ingredients until the texture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the oats and toss to combine.
STEP FOUR – Bake the Crisp
- Distribute the topping over the filling.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for 45 minutes until browned and bubbly.
- Cool the crisp on the cooling rack for 5-10 minutes.
STEP FIVE – Make the Whipped Cream
1 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- In the stand mixer, whip the cream on high speed for 1 minute until stiff peaks form.
- Add the powdered sugar and whip until combined.
- Top the crisp with a dollop of whipped cream.
Recommended Serving Size: ⅙ of crisp with 2 tablespoons whipped cream
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fruit, 2 fat