This creamy and zesty pie, the official state pie of Florida, is simple, satisfying, and the perfect remedy for winter blues. It can be baked or unbaked, have a graham cracker or pastry crust, and topped with meringue or whipped cream but it consistently contains key lime juice, sweetened condensed milk, and egg yolks.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Get out a small glass measuring cup, a food processor, and a small bowl.
- Get out a 9-inch glass pie pan and a stand mixer.
- Set up a cooling rack.
STEP TWO – Make the Crust
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 ¼ cups (18 squares) plain graham crackers
¼ cup white sugar
¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- In the small glass measuring cup, microwave the butter for 45 seconds.
- In the food processor, pulse the graham crackers to crumbs.
- In the small bowl, combine the melted butter, graham crackers, sugar, and salt.
- Use your fingers to press the crust into the pie pan and evenly distribute across the bottom and up the sides.
- Bake for 10 minutes until golden.
- Cool the crust on the cooling rack.
STEP THREE – Make the Filling
3 egg yolks
1 tablespoon fresh lime zest
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
⅔ cup fresh lime juice
- In the stand mixer with the whisk attachment, beat the yolks and lime zest on high speed for 5 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Slowly add the condensed milk and beat on high for another 5 minutes.
- Reduce the speed to slow and add the lime juice until just incorporated.
STEP FOUR – Bake the Pie
- Pour the filling into the crust.
- Bake for 10 minutes until set.
- Cool the pie on the cooling rack for 10-15 minutes.
- Once cooled, cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Transfer to the freezer 15 minutes before serving.
STEP FIVE – Make the Whipped Cream
1 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- In the stand mixer, whip the cream on high speed for 1 minute until stiff peaks form.
- Add the powdered sugar and whip until combined.
- Top the pie with a dollop of whipped cream.
Recommended Serving Size: 1 slice (⅛ of pie) with 2 tablespoons whipped cream
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat