In honor of National Pizza Day, we’re reposting the very first recipe we uploaded to Nourish: cheese pizza. Back in July when this family-favorite comfort food went live, we had 0 followers. 7 months later, we’re going strong with over 700! We can’t thank you enough for your continued support and hope you enjoy this delicious dish as much as we do!
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Lightly spray a 14-inch diameter pizza pan with canola spray.
- Get out a large mixing bowl, a medium saucepan, and a food processor.
STEP TWO – Make the Dough
¾ cup lukewarm water
1 packet dry active yeast
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- In the large mixing bowl, pour the water over the yeast and whisk until fully dissolved.
- Add the salt and sugar, then the flour, and whisk to combine.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic, adding more flour as needed.
- Lightly spray the bowl with canola spray and return the dough to the bowl.
- Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise for 30 minutes while you make the sauce.
STEP THREE – Make the Marinara Sauce
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
¼ cup minced onion
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon ground pepper
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 minced garlic cloves
1 15-ounce can tomatoes or 4 fresh tomatoes seeded and cut into small pieces
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 chopped basil leaves
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
- In the medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, salt, pepper, and pepper flakes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, and basil and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and honey and stir to incorporate.
- Puree the sauce in the food processor to a smooth consistency and set aside.
STEP FOUR – Bake the Pizza
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Place a kitchen towel under the pizza pan to prevent sliding, then place the dough in the center and use your fingers to press to the edges.
- Spread the sauce across the entire surface of the dough.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the sauce.
- Add your choice of toppings or keep plain.
- Bake for 18 minutes until the crust and cheese are lightly browned.
- Transfer the pizza from the pan to a large cutting board, cut into 8 slices with a pizza cutter, and serve hot.
Recommended Serving Size: 2 slices
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 protein, 1 veg, 1 fat