In honor of National Pizza Day, we’re reposting the very first recipe we uploaded to Nourish: cheese pizza. Back in July when this family favorite comfort food went live, we had 0 followers. 7 months later, we’re going strong with over 700! We can’t thank you enough for your continued support and hope you enjoy this delicious dish as much as we do!
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Lightly spray a 14-inch diameter pizza pan with canola spray.
- Get out a large bowl, a medium saucepan, and a food processor.
STEP TWO – Make the Dough
¾ cup lukewarm water
1 packet dry active yeast
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
- In the large bowl, pour the water over the yeast and whisk until fully dissolved.
- Add the salt and sugar, then the flour, and whisk to combine.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 5 minutes until smooth, adding more flour as needed.
- Lightly spray the bowl with canola spray and return the dough to the bowl.
- Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise for 30 minutes while you make the sauce.
STEP THREE – Make the Marinara Sauce
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
½ small peeled and minced onion
2 teaspoons fine sea salt
1 teaspoon ground pepper
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 peeled and minced garlic cloves
1 15-ounce can tomatoes or 4 large seeded and diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 fresh chopped basil leaves
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
- In the medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, salt, pepper, and pepper flakes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, and basil.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and honey and stir to incorporate.
- Puree in the food processor and set aside.
STEP FOUR – Assemble and Bake
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Place a kitchen towel under the pizza pan, then place the dough in the center and use your fingers to press to the edges.
- Spread the sauce across the entire surface of the dough.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the sauce.
- Add your choice of toppings or keep plain.
- Bake for 18 minutes until the crust and cheese are lightly browned.
- Transfer the pizza to a large cutting board and cut into 8 slices with a pizza cutter.
- Serve hot.
Recommended Serving Size: 2 slices
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 protein, 1 veg, 1 fat