Once at the top of the list of Julia’s fear foods, our lighter version of the classic mac & cheese helped her reclaim her love for this popular dish. Topped with parmesan and breadcrumbs, it truly is the ultimate comfort food.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Lightly spray an 11×7-inch baking dish or a round casserole dish with canola spray.
- Get out a large pot and a colander.
- Get out a large glass measuring cup and a medium saucepan.
STEP TWO – Cook the Pasta
¾ pound elbow pasta
- Fill the large pot ¾ full of water, add a shake of salt, and bring to a boil.
- Add the pasta and cook for 1 less minute than directed.
- Drain the pasta in the colander, rinse briefly under cold water, and spoon into the baking dish.
STEP THREE – Make the Cheese Sauce
1 ½ cups milk
1 cup vegetable broth
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
½ teaspoon ground pepper
- In the glass measuring cup, microwave the milk and broth for 1 minute.
- In the medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the flour to the melted butter and whisk to combine.
- Slowly add the milk and broth and whisk well for 10 minutes until the sauce is smooth and thick.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cheddar cheese, salt, and pepper until incorporated.
STEP FOUR – Assemble and Bake
¼ cup parmesan cheese
¼ cups panko breadcrumbs
- Add the sauce to the pasta in the baking dish and mix to incorporate.
- Top with the parmesan cheese and panko breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the top is lightly browned.
- Serve the macaroni and cheese warm in bowls.
Recommended Serving Size: ¼ of recipe
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 fat