We always make this creamy vegetarian classic when the temperature drops in New England and locally grown winter squash becomes available. You can count on us to bring a larger quantity to seasonal celebrations like Thanksgiving and potlucks. Once Julia’s sole “safe food” at these festivities, she now enjoys it in addition to mashed cauliflower, and pumpkin pie.
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Get out a large stockpot and a food processor or blender.
STEP TWO – Roast the Vegetables and Fruit
1 large seeded and halved butternut squash
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large peeled and halved carrot
1 large peeled and halved onion
4 peeled and halved garlic cloves
1 large halved celery stalk
4 springs fresh thyme
2 cored and halved apples
- Brush the squash flesh with 1 tablespoon of oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the squash flesh-side down on one half of the baking sheet.
- Place the carrot, onion, and garlic on a large strip of aluminum foil, drizzle with the rest of the oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add the thyme to the vegetables and seal the foil into a packet.
- Wrap the apples in another strip of foil and place with the vegetables on the other half of the baking sheet.
- Roast for 40-50 minutes until the squash is tender and lightly browned around the edges.
- Unwrap the vegetables and apples and let cool for 10 minutes.
STEP THREE – Make the Soup
3-4 cups vegetable broth
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon ground pepper
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 tablespoons pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- Heat the large stockpot over medium-low heat.
- Scoop the squash and apples out of the skins and add to the food processor or blender.
- Add the vegetables and discard the thyme.
- Add 3 cups of vegetable broth with the salt, pepper, and nutmeg and blend until smooth and creamy, adding more broth to thin or seasonings to flavor if needed.
- Add the soup to the stockpot to warm up.
- Ladle into bowls and top with pepitas.
Recommended Serving Size: 2 cups soup
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 veg, 1 fat