Hummus is super easy to make and can be enjoyed with cut-up fruits and vegetables, bread, crackers, and so much more. It pairs especially well with our soft New York-style pretzels!
STEP ONE – Preparations
- Get out a stand mixer and attach the dough hook.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and lightly spray.
- Get out a large pot, a small glass measuring cup, and a slotted spoon.
- Set up the food processor.
- Set up 2 cooling racks.
STEP TWO – Start the Pretzels
1 ½ cups of warm water
1 packet of active dry yeast
1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
1 teaspoon of fine sea salt
1 tablespoon of white sugar
3 cups of all-purpose flour
Coarse sea salt
- In the bowl of the mixer, add the warm water and yeast.
- Whisk to dissolve the yeast and let sit for 5 minutes until it’s proofed.
- Melt the butter in the glass measuring cup for 30-34 seconds and let it cool.
- Add the cooled butter, salt, and sugar to the yeast.
- Attach the bowl to the mixer and mix on low as you add in 3 cups of flour, 1 cup at a time.
- If the dough is still sticky, add more flour until you can poke the dough with your finger and it bounces back.
- Lightly flour a countertop and knead the dough for about 5 minutes.
- Shape the dough into a ball, then lightly spray the mixer bowl with canola spray and put the dough in it.
- Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and let the dough rest for 10-15 minutes while you prepare the baking soda bath.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
STEP THREE – Prepare Baking Soda Bath
½ cup of baking soda
10 cups of water
- In the large pot, start boiling the water and baking soda.
- While the water is coming to a boil, move onto STEP FOUR.
STEP FOUR – Shape the Dough into Pretzels
Instructions (if unclear, watch a YouTube video):
- Cut the pretzel dough into 10 pieces.
- Using a back and forth motion with your hands, roll the first piece into a 20-inch-long rope.
- Bring the ends of the rope together to form a circle.
- Twist the two ends around each other once.
- Bring the twisted ends toward yourself and fold down on the front curve of the pretzel.
- Set the pretzel aside on a lightly-dusted surface and repeat this process until all are created.
STEP FIVE – Boil and Bake
- Using a spatula, scoop 2 pretzels at a time off the counter and into the baking soda bath.
- Leave the pretzels in the bath for no more than 25 seconds.
- Remove the pretzels with the slotted spoon and let any excess water drip off them.
- Place the pretzels on the prepared baking sheets.
- Sprinkle with coarse sea salt.
- When all the pretzels are done in the bath, bake them for 10-15 minutes until they’re golden brown.
- Transfer to the cooling racks.
STEP SIX – Make the Hummus
1 can of garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
⅓ cup of tahini (sesame paste)
1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil
2 minced garlic cloves
Juice of one lemon
½ teaspoon of cumin
¾ teaspoon of sea salt
½ teaspoon of paprika
- Drain and rinse the can of chickpeas.
- Add the ingredients to the food processor and blend them together to a smooth consistency.
- Add a tablespoon of water at a time to change the thickness until it’s the consistency you like.
- Adjust the seasoning to your taste.
- Dip your homemade pretzels in your homemade hummus for a stellar snack.
Recommended serving size: 1 pretzel and 2 tablespoons of hummus
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat